Ray Harryhausen’s Jason and the Argonauts (1963, dir. Don Chaffey).
Recommended viewing on Turner Classic Movies for the week of Sunday, November 14 to Saturday, November 20. Some are films I’ve seen and some are ones I plan to check out. All times are listed in PST because that’s where I live; see the full schedule here.
TCM has changed the format of its schedule a bit, and as a result I’ve changed the format of these posts.
Sunday, November 14
• 12:45pm The Lady Eve (1941) – A lady cardsharp tries to con an eccentric scientist only to fall for him. Cast: Barbara Stanwyck, Henry Fonda, Charles Coburn, Eugene Pallette. Dir: Preston Sturges. 94 mins.
• 11:00pm Rashomon (1950) – In medieval Japan, four people offer conflicting accounts of a rape and murder. Cast: Toshiro Mifune, Machiko Kyo, Takashi Shimura, Masayuki Mori. Dir: Akira Kurosawa. 88 mins.
Monday, November 15
• 8:00am Summertime (1955) – A schoolteacher is surprised to find love on a Venetian vacation. Cast: Katharine Hepburn, Rossano Brazzi, Isa Miranda, Darren McGavin. Dir: David Lean. 100 mins.
• 2:30pm The Lady From Shanghai (1948) – A romantic drifter gets caught between a corrupt tycoon and his voluptuous wife. Cast: Rita Hayworth, Orson Welles, Everett Sloane, Glenn Anders. Dir: Orson Welles. 87 mins.
• 11:30pm Flesh And The Devil (1926) – In this silent film, a femme fatale comes between childhood friends. Cast: John Gilbert, Greta Garbo, Lars Hanson, Barbara Kent. Dir: Clarence Brown. 113 mins.
Tuesday, November 16
• 1:00pm Jason And The Argonauts (1963) – The legendary hero enlists the help of the gods to steal the golden fleece. Cast: Todd Armstrong, Nancy Kovack, Gary Raymond, Laurence Naismith. Dir: Don Chaffey. 104 mins.
• 9:00pm The Incredible Mr. Limpet (1964) – A World War II 4-F saves the U.S. Navy when he’s transformed into a dolphin. Cast: Don Knotts, Carole Cook, Jack Weston, Andrew Duggan. Dir: Arthur Lubin. 99 mins.
Wednesday, November 17
• 4:30am Red-Headed Woman (1932) – An ambitious secretary tries to sleep her way into high society. Cast: Jean Harlow, Chester Morris, Lewis Stone, Leila Hyams. Dir: Jack Conway. 80 mins.
• 11:30pm It (1927) – A shop girl turns party girl to land her boss. Cast: Clara Bow, Antonio Moreno, William Austin, Jacqueline Gadsdon. Dir: Clarence Badger. 77 mins.
Thursday, November 18
• 1:30pm King Solomon’s Mines (1937) – African explorers enlist an exiled native chief to help them find a legendary treasure. Cast: Paul Robeson, Cedric Hardwicke, Roland Young, John Loder. Dir: Robert Stevenson. 80 mins.
Friday, November 19
• 5:30am Two Girls And A Sailor (1944) – Singing sisters create a World War II canteen and become rivals for the same man. Cast: June Allyson, Gloria DeHaven, Van Johnson, Tom Drake. Dir: Richard Thorpe. 124 mins.
Saturday, November 20
• 3:30pm 20 Million Miles To Earth (1957) – A crashed spaceship unleashes a rapidly growing monster from Venus. Cast: William Hopper, Joan Taylor, Frank Puglia, John Zaremba. Dir: Nathan Juran. 83 mins.
Check out the schedule – what are YOUR recommendations for this week?