Leslie Howard and Bette Davis in Of Human Bondage (1934).
Recommended viewing on Turner Classic Movies for the week of Sunday, November 21 to Saturday, November 27. Some are films I’ve seen and some are ones I plan to check out. All times are listed in PST because that’s where I live; see the full schedule here.
Sunday, November 21
• 7:00pm Every Girl Should Be Married (1949) – A young woman uses scientific research to trap a man into marriage. Cast: Cary Grant, Franchot Tone, Diana Lynn, Betsy Drake. Dir: Don Hartman. 85 mins.
Monday, November 22
Tuesday, November 23
• 10:45am The Body Snatcher (1945) – To continue his medical experiments, a doctor must buy corpses from a grave robber. Cast: Boris Karloff, Bela Lugosi, Henry Daniell, Edith Atwater. Dir: Robert Wise. 78 mins.
Wednesday, November 24
• 1:00am Shane (1953) – A mysterious drifter helps farmers fight off a vicious gunman. Cast: Alan Ladd, Jean Arthur, Van Heflin, Brandon de Wilde. Dir: George Stevens. 118 mins.
• 9:15am The Harvey Girls (1946) – Straitlaced waitresses battle saloon girls to win the West for domesticity. Cast: Judy Garland, John Hodiak, Ray Bolger, Angela Lansbury. Dir: George Sidney. 101 mins.
• 5:00pm It Happened One Night (1934) – A newspaperman tracks a runaway heiress on a madcap cross-country tour. Cast: Clark Gable, Claudette Colbert, Walter Connolly, Roscoe Karns. Dir: Frank Capra. 105 mins.
Thursday, November 25
• 2:45am Of Human Bondage (1934) – A medical student falls prey to a sluttish waitress. Cast: Leslie Howard, Bette Davis, Frances Dee, Kay Johnson. Dir: John Cromwell. 83 mins.
• 8:30am You Can’t Take It With You (1938) – A girl from a family of freethinkers falls for the son of a conservative banker. Cast: Jean Arthur, Lionel Barrymore, James Stewart, Edward Arnold. Dir: Frank Capra. 126 mins.
Friday, November 26
• 10:00am Strangers On A Train (1951) – A man’s joking suggestion that he and a chance acquaintance trade murders turns deadly. Cast: Farley Granger, Ruth Roman, Robert Walker, Leo G. Carroll. Dir: Alfred Hitchcock. 101 mins.
Saturday, November 27
• 5:00pm A Star Is Born (1954) – A falling star marries the newcomer he’s helping reach the top. Cast: Judy Garland, James Mason, Jack Carson, Charles Bickford. Dir: George Cukor. 176 mins.
Check out the schedule – what are YOUR recommendations for this week?