Olivia de Havilland in The Snake Pit (1948).
Recommended viewing on Turner Classic Movies for the week of Sunday, November 28 to Saturday, December 4. Some are films I’ve seen and some are ones I plan to check out. All times are listed in PST because that’s where I live; see the full schedule here.
Sunday, November 28
• 3:45am Fiesta (1947) – A Mexican beauty replaces her toreador brother in the bull ring so he can pursue his musical career. Cast: Esther Williams, Akim Tamiroff, Ricardo Montalban, John Carroll, Dir: Richard Thorpe. 102 mins.
• 7:15am The Nanny (1965) – A disturbed young man tries to prove his nanny is out to kill him. Cast: Bette Davis, Wendy Craig, Jill Bennett, James Villiers. Dir: Seth Holt. 93 mins.
• 9:00pm Where East Is East (1929) – An animal trapper in Indochina fights to keep his former mistress from destroying their daughter’s life. Cast: Lon Chaney, Lupe Velez, Estelle Taylor, Lloyd Hughes. Dir: Tod Browning. 67 mins.
Monday, November 29
• 8:30am Gold Diggers of 1933 (1933) – Three chorus girls fight to keep their show going and find rich husbands. Cast: Warren William, Joan Blondell, Aline MacMahon, Ruby Keeler. Dir: Mervyn LeRoy. 98 mins.
Tuesday, November 30
• 1:30am Hollywood Canteen (1944) – A serviceman and a starlet find love at the star-staffed serviceman’s center. Cast: Andrews Sisters, Jack Benny, Joe E. Brown, Eddie Cantor. Dir: Delmer Daves. 124 mins.
Wednesday, December 1
• 2:00pm Cool Hand Luke (1967) – A free-spirited convict refuses to conform to chain-gang life. Cast: Paul Newman, George Kennedy, J. D. Cannon, Lou Antonio. Dir: Stuart Rosenberg. 126 mins.
• 12:30am Pinky (1949) – A light-skinned black woman returns home after passing for white in nursing school. Cast: Jeanne Crain, Ethel Barrymore, Ethel Waters, William Lundigan. Dir: Elia Kazan. 102 mins.
Thursday, December 2
• 2:30pm Upper World (1934) – A wealthy man escapes his wife’s social pretensions in the arms of a burlesque queen. Cast: Warren William, Mary Astor, Ginger Rogers, Andy Devine. Dir: Roy Del Ruth. 73 mins.
Friday, December 3
• 12:30pm A Place in the Sun (1951) – An ambitious young man wins an heiress’s heart but has to cope with his former girlfriend’s pregnancy. Cast: Montgomery Clift, Elizabeth Taylor, Shelley Winters, Anne Revere. Dir: George Stevens. 122 mins.
• 12:30am Night of the Living Dead (1968) – A space probe unleashes microbes that turn the dead into flesh-eating zombies. Cast: Judith O’Dea, Russell Streiner, Duane Jones, Karl Hardman. Dir: George A. Romero. 96 mins.
Saturday, December 4
• 10:00am Courage of Lassie (1946) – A young girl tries to rehabilitate the famous collie after his return from combat service in World War II. Cast: Elizabeth Taylor, Frank Morgan, Tom Drake, Selena Royle. Dir: Fred M. Wilcox. 93 mins.
• 5:00pm The Snake Pit (1948) – A young woman tries to recover her sanity in a corrupt mental institution. Cast: Olivia deHavilland, Mark Stevens, Leo Genn, Celeste Holm. Dir: Anatole Litvak. 108 mins.
Check out the schedule – what are YOUR recommendations for this week?