Sal Mineo in The Gene Krupa Story (1959).
Recommended viewing on Turner Classic Movies for the week of Sunday, December 5 to Saturday, December 11. Some are films I’ve seen and some are ones I plan to check out. All times are listed in PST because that’s where I live; see the full schedule here.
Sunday, December 5
• 12:45am Zoo In Budapest (1933) – An orphan escapes her keepers to be with a young man raised at the zoo whose only friends are animals. Cast: Loretta Young, Gene Raymond, O. P. Heggie, Wally Albright. Dir: Rowland V. Lee. 83 mins.
Monday, December 6
• 6:30am The Gene Krupa Story (1959) – Legendary jazz musician Gene Krupa faces highs and lows along the path of his life. Cast: Sal Mineo, Susan Kohner, James Darren, Susan Oliver. Dir: Don Weis. 101 mins.
• 9:00pm A Face In The Crowd (1957) – A female television executive turns a folk-singing drifter into a powerful media star. Cast: Andy Griffith, Patricia Neal, Anthony Franciosa, Walter Matthau. Dir: Elia Kazan. 126 mins.
Tuesday, December 7
• 1:00am A Streetcar Named Desire (1951) – A fading southern belle tries to build a new life with her sister in New Orleans. Cast: Vivien Leigh, Marlon Brando, Kim Hunter, Karl Malden. Dir: Elia Kazan. 125 mins.
Wednesday, December 8
• 5:00pm Sunset Boulevard (1950) – A failed screenwriter falls into a mercenary romance with a faded silent-film star. Cast: William Holden, Gloria Swanson, Erich von Stroheim, Nancy Olson. Dir: Billy Wilder. 110 mins.
• 12:45am The Defiant Ones (1958) – Two convicts, a white racist and an angry black, escape while chained to each other. Cast: Tony Curtis, Sidney Poitier, Theodore Bikel, Charles McGraw. Dir: Stanley Kramer. 96 mins.
Thursday, December 9
• 6:30pm Babes in Arms (1939) – A group of second-generation entertainers puts on a show to launch their careers. Cast: Mickey Rooney, Judy Garland, Charles Winninger, Guy Kibbee. Dir: Busby Berkeley. 96 mins.
Friday, December 10
• 7:00am The Talk of the Town (1942) – An escaped political prisoner and a stuffy law professor vie for the hand of a spirited schoolteacher. Cast: Cary Grant, Jean Arthur, Ronald Colman, Edgar Buchanan. Dir: George Stevens. 117 mins.
• 1:00pm A Raisin in the Sun (1961) – A black woman uses her late husband’s life insurance to build a better world for her children. Cast: Sidney Poitier, Claudia McNeil, Ruby Dee, Diana Sands. Dir: Daniel Petrie. 128 mins.
• 12:45am The 5,000 Fingers Of Dr. T. (1953) – A young boy dreams that his piano teacher is a super-villain out to rule the world. Cast: Peter Lind Hayes, Mary Healy, Hans Conried, Tommy Rettig. Dir: Roy Rowland. 89 mins.
Saturday, December 11
• 5:00pm Meet Me In St. Louis (1944) – Young love and childish fears highlight a year in the life of a turn-of-the-century family. Cast: Judy Garland, Margaret O’Brien, Mary Astor, Lucille Bremer. Dir: Vincente Minnelli. 113 mins.
Check out the schedule – what are YOUR recommendations for this week?