Ladies and gentlemen, you are now officially reading an award-winning classic film blog. That’s right – I’ve been tagged by Clara of Via Margutta 51 to receive the Stylish Blogger Award! This means a lot coming from a blogger as stylish as Clara. A native of Chile, Clara posts (in English) everything from film reviews to photographs to actor profiles, but from her own completely unique point of view. What I love about Via Margutta 51 is how creative Clara’s posts are, and the wildly imaginative (and super fun!) ways she chooses to express her admiration for stars and films. I think her most recent post, on her completely awesome (though unfinished) stop-motion animated reenactment of Wait Until Dark (1967), is a perfect example. And be sure not to miss the fonts she’s made out of the handwritings of Ingrid Bergman and Grace Kelly – how original and fun is that?!? I was so delighted to receive this award from one of my favorite classic film bloggers out there. Thank you again, Clara!
Now, the stipulations of this award state that I must post seven stylish facts about myself. I’m flattered that my blog is considered “stylish,” because in reality I’m probably one of the least-stylish people you could imagine. But I promise to do my best.
1. I do not have a single piercing (not even my ears) or tattoo. I don’t smoke, drink coffee, or drive. I’m practically Amish.
2. I had not actually seen the film Ninotchka (1939) before I started this blog, even though I stole the film’s tagline for my blog name. :)
3. My current ringtone is the chorus from Michael Jackson’s “Billie Jean,” and has been so for going on two years.
4. The very first movie I saw in a theater was Disney’s The Little Mermaid (1989), but I was only two so I don’t remember it.
5. The movie I have seen the most times in my life is, without a doubt, The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (1994). The first summer I owned the VHS I watched it three times a day for a month. I have no idea how many times I’ve actually seen it, but I’d estimate it at between 200-300.
6. I am related to Gregory Peck – allegedly. My paternal grandmother (who died before I was born) was a Peck, and she knew Gregory when they both attended UC Berkeley. They weren’t close friends, but whenever they passed on campus they’d greet each other, “Hi, Cousin!” If he was her first cousin, then that would make him my first cousin twice removed (because I am two generations younger). However, we also have a book of genealogy prepared by the Mormon Church, and there is no evidence of a cousin by the name of Eldred (that was Gregory’s birth name). Then again, we’re not Mormon, and I know from my own personal genealogical research that the Mormons sometimes fudge things when trying to put together these family trees (which they do so that individuals may be baptized as Mormon even after they’re dead). So either side could be wrong, and it just comes down to who you want to believe. I personally choose to trust my grandmother. :) Plus Gregory Peck does closely resemble that side of my family.
7. I’ve mentioned it before, but a few years ago I completed a six-month internship as a zookeeper’s apprentice. I got to work with spotted hyenas, warthogs, vervet monkeys, meerkats, emus, and wallaroos (a medium-sized kangaroo). I love animals, so it was really the experience of a lifetime for me. It was ridiculously hard but also ridiculously fun. I honestly miss waking up every morning to clean monkey poop at 8AM. (How’s that for stylish?!?)
And now, the thrilling conclusion of this
meme award requests that I tag seven Stylish Bloggers to continue on the legacy of stylish… bloggyness. It was hard to find seven people who hadn’t already received this award, so apologies if anybody I tag has already gotten it. Consider yourself doubly stylish!
1. The eternally-classic Meredith of Forever Classics.
2. The elusive yet delightful Alix and Lindsay of Anatomy of a Classic.
3. The fantabulous J.N. Pickens of Comet Over Hollywood.
4. Rachel of The Girl with the White Parasol, a promising new addition to the
5. Stephanie and her deliciously-silly Days of Doris.
6. My good buddy Lara who just started her very own classic film blog Backlots! This girl always out-shined me in Film Studies class and her Judy Garland collection is breathtaking! FOLLOW HER!
7. And last but not least, the lovely Molly of Molly-olly-oxen-free, who doesn’t blog about classic film but is still marvelously stylish in every way. :)